Saturday, November 22, 2014

Easy Delicious Chicken & Corn Chowder

Pin It Now!
     Ahh.... I'm so excited the weekend is here! I do work some Saturdays but not this Saturday. So my boys are off to swimming class and I get to enjoy my morning "off". Which actually means I'm laying in bed with a big cup of coffee to tell you all about this delicious Chicken & Corn Chowder I made for us this week.

     It's been very cold out these days in Charlotte so we have all been craving warm food. I'm not ready for something super hearty right now so this chowder is a happy medium. It's warm and filling but still light enough for lunch. 

     This also freezes very well. I went ahead and made a big batch and frozen half of it. I love to have soups on hand for busy days that I don't have time to make dinner. For whatever reason that night seems to always be Thursday night. 


     This soup seems to suit all pallets in my household. It has a little sweetness plus a kick if you add the jalapeño. The chicken adds extra texture, and the slight tastes of bacon is what will make you really love it. Is your mouth watering yet? Give this a try this weekend, your house will smell amazing and you family will have full tummies. 



What you need:
1lb cooked chicken shredded 
6 bacon strips 
1/2 white onion diced
3 celery stalks sliced
3 cloves garlic pressed
2Tbsp butter
2Tbsp flour
1qt low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2c whole milk
1 Jalapeño "gutted" and diced
1pkg frozen sweet corn
1pkg frozen peas and carrots
1/2 red pepper diced
pinch of sea salt
ground pepper to taste

What to do:
1. heat your dutch oven over medium heat and add bacon slices. Cook bacon until crispy and set aside, leave grease in oven. 
2. Add butter into dutch oven, once melted add garlic onion and celery. Cook until softened. slowly whisk in flour. A nice rue should form. If it's a little clumpy don't worry. 
3. Whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil
4. Once boiling cover and turn heat to low. Let simmer for 10 min. Your broth should start to thicken. 
5. Crumble bacon you set aside and add to broth, also add salt and pepper
6. Add jalapeño, corn, peas and carrots, chicken and red pepper. Continue to cook on low for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally and keep covered. 
7. Serve and enjoy!!!! Top with additional jalapeño if you like some extra kick. 

     I used all organic ingredients for this recipe. I recommend that you do the same. However always remember cooking fresh food is always best. If you decide not to use organic know you are still doing what's best for you family buy leaving soup in the can at the store! 


     I hope you all have an awesome weekend. We will be busy prepping for the large Thanksgiving that we are hosting. I will try to keep you all updated on what's going on for our second Real Food holiday feast at the Ridberg house. Make sure you follow me on Instagram @theeasyappetite to keep up with our daily cooking. 

Xo, 





No comments:

Post a Comment