Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Best Easy Whole Wheat Pancakes

Pin It Now!
 Let me just say I am a total sucker for anything pancake! The funny part is so is Bennett. The hubs he could take them or leave them, but not the two of us. He may not look anything like me but I think he got my taste buds. So after reading what is actually in my box of Bisquick, I decided it might be fun to try and make something of my own.

     As it turns out pancakes are really easy to make. It was about 8 minutes in prep time, and that includes entertaining an 18 month old. While cooking them in a skillet I usually make an omelet or bacon and eggs. I just keep the pancakes warm but sticking them on a baking sheet in the oven set on 250. I also use that time to slice fruit to serve on top of my pancake stack. 

     

     If your like me and you enjoy batch cooking, these pancakes freeze very well. I usually heat them up in the toaster or microwave. That way on busy mornings Bennett can have homemade pancakes, fresh fruit and some plain goat yogurt. (I have plain regular yogurt) I hate stressing about what most call "the most important meal of the day", so having something prepared ahead of time takes that stress away. 

Whole Wheat Pancakes 
what you need: 
1 1/2c whole wheat flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp cinnamon (optional) 
1 1/2c whole milk
2 TBSP butter, melts
1 egg
1 1/2tsp vanilla
2TBSP honey or coconut palm sugar
GREAT OPTIONAL ADD-INS:  fresh berries (chopped if using strawberries), chopped walnuts, flax seeds, bananas, chocolate chips. Use up to 1/2c total of  add-ins. Be creative!! 
What to do: 
 1. whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside
 2. Win another bowl whisk together milk, honey, butter, vanilla & egg. 
 3. Dig a well in your dry ingredient bowl. Pour your wet ingredients into the well and mix together with a fork. It is very important not to over mix. There should still be small lumps in your batter. If it seems to thick just add 1TBSP of milk at a time to thin out. 

4. preheat a medium size skillet and melt a slice of butter in it. 
5. pour batter onto hot skillet, creating a 4-6" circle ( I use a small ladle to pour into skillet) 
6. cook until middle starts to bubble and edges start to brown 
7. Flip your pancake, and cook until golden brown
8. Serve hot with, butter syrup or fresh fruit. ENJOY! 


     I hope that everyone has had a wonderful weekend! We have been busy catching up from being gone. There has been lots of laundry, football, and cooking going on over here! 



Allergy info: I have used almond milk and goat's milk to replace the whole milk.  I've used earth best vegan buttery spread to replace the butter with this recipe and it has worked very well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment