Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Best Dairy Substitutes

Pin It Now!
     Hi all! I hope everyone has had a great start to their week, we are over half way to the weekend. YAHOO!!!!

     This week for my "allergy post" I thought I would tell you all some great substitutes we have found for milk. I always smile when I think about how confused I was when I found out that literally almost everything seemed to contain dairy. (I smile because I think I almost pulled my hair out) Anyways, not it all kind of seems second nature to us. We are lucky that we can now bake with butter for Bennett but honestly other than that my child is Dairy (cow's milk) free!

     Milk ~ Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Goat's milk (if you aren't allergic), & Hemp Milk are all what have worked for us. An Almond/coconut Blend is something Bennett really loves and is also a good balance of nutrients. (And yes, I have learned you can cook with breast milk if you are cooking for a child you are currently breast feeding)

     Butter ~  Earth's Balance, Nutiva Buttery Spread (This is my favorite), Coconut Oil

     Cheese~  to be honest this one is a bummer. The only real food option that I have found is goat milk or sheep's milk cheese. I have found the people at the cheese counter at our local Whole Foods or Earth Fare are very knowledgable. Drunken Goat seems to be a household favorite!

     Yogurt~ So far our favorite has been homemade Chia Pods, and you can also buy them in the store. There is also great goat milk yogurt that you can add fresh fruit to. You can also find many dairy free yogurts but I am aways a little hesitant  since they seem to have a long list of ingredients.

     I am also so grateful that in Charlotte we have Luna's Living Kitchen, they are a vegan cafe that I really trust. They make delicious "yogurt" cups that they sell togo. If you live here locally I suggest you pay them a visit.

     For those of you looking for ways to cut out dairy I hope you will find some of these helpful. It takes a little while but eventually it's your new normal!


     


*we always use organic options if possible

No comments:

Post a Comment