Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall Apple Muffins

Pin It Now!
     Hi everyone, I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend! The hubby and I got to escape to Asheville this weekend. (Thanks dad & Sheila!!) It was a wonderful time away that was very needed. The weather was perfect to walk around and be outside, so we got to visit lots of awesome local whole food restaurants. Who doesn't love a weekend like that? I will say the cooler weather around here has put me in the mood for some fall food. So when I got home yesterday I whipped up some Apple Muffins, just in time for Bennett's dessert.

     These are pretty easy to make, and VERY delicious. I like to use a few bigger pieces of apple so that the muffins will have a little crunch. You could also add in a few walnuts or pecans if you are looking for a real crunch.

     I have never been able to decide the perfect time of day to eat these. They go wonderful as a side dish for breakfast, a quick afternoon snack or a healthy dessert for dinnertime. I do not suggest leaving them out on your counter after they cool. If you are anything like me they will be gone the first day, since every time I walk by one lands in my hand!!

Apple Muffins
what you need:
2 small apples, diced (honey crisp if available)
1 3/4c whole wheat flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1 1/2tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
1 stick butter, melted
1/2c honey or maple syrup
2 eggs
1 1/2tsp vanilla
1/3c sour cream
preheat oven to 350
cupcake pan, lined
*use organic when possible 

What to do: 
1. In a large mixing bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & nutmeg. Whisk together and set aside. 

2. In a separate bowl beat butter and honey together until creamy. (about 1 min)

3. Add eggs, vanilla & sour cream. Beat well until mixture is smooth

4. Add wet ingredients into bowl that has your dry ingredients. Whisk together

5. Fold in apple chunks (coat in a small amount of flour so they won't sink to the bottom of your pan) 

6.  Fill cupcake pan with batter. Fill each muffin about 3/4 full. Bake 21-24 min on 350, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

I hope you are all enjoying a bit of cooler weather and some yummy fall produce! Please check back later this week for my pumpkin bread recipe!! (If you can't tell this baby in my belly is craving muffins, bread and breakfast) 



ps. please remember to share our recipes on Facebook or pin them so you can have them later. ~xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment