Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Walking Taco

Pin It Now!


       We hope that everyone has had an awesome Labor Day weekend so far. Here in Charlotte it has been HOT, but we have been having fun. If you are headed to a Labor Day pool party tomorrow or you are in need of a new tailgate recipe I thought The Walking Taco would be perfect. You can make it with or without meat, and as spicy as you'd like. It's hearty and filling but still light enough for hot weather. I hope you all enjoy!


The Walking Taco
What you need:
1 can refried beans 
1/2lb browned and seasoned taco meat (beef or chicken)
4 avocados (either sliced or smashed)
8oz sour cream (1cup)
1 diced tomato
1/2c shredded cheese 
(I promise buying block cheese and shredding it yourself is worth it. It has WAY more flavor)
1/4c sliced olives
whole wheat pita or tortilla chips 

What to do:
     1. in a skillet cook brown meat in a little olive oil, 1Tbsp chili powder, 1Tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 Tbsp onion powder, dash of salt and pepper (if your not using meat mix these spices into sour cream) once meat is cooked set aside to cool 

2. layer ingredients in your serving dish in the order listed above

3. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

4. pair with either toasted whole wheat pita or tortilla chips 


I owe a special thank you to my Aunt Patty who gave me this recipe. I've changed it a little over the years but it reminds me of her every time I make it! Have a wonderful Labor Day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment