Saturday, August 30, 2014

Grandma's Sausage Gravy

Pin It Now!

    My sweet Grandma, she has always  been the best cook in my family. My memories of her food are some of my favorite childhood memories. It was good old southern food. My dad always tells the story of when she was trying to show him how to make biscuits, and she said "you know, you just make 'um good". I love that story. Every time we would go visit she would make us homemade biscuits with sausage gravy. There was always a table full of food but that dish was the star. This is now my husband's favorite breakfast, even with the healthier choices I've added to it.

Grandma's Sausage Gravy
what you need:

1lb breakfast sausage 
(we use locally raised, humanely treat,antibiotic & hormone free meat. If using prepackaged meat you won't need the butter) 
2Tbsp butter 
2 Tbsp & 1 tsp flour (I use wheat)
2 1/2c whole milk
fresh black pepper 
dash sea salt

what to do:

1. over medium brown your sausage and break it into little crumbles while cooking
2. removed browned sausage from the pan but leave leftover grease in the pan. Set sausage on a paper towel lined plate (if your using high quality sausage there won't be much grease, the meat will also not turn dark brown like packaged sausage does)
3. melt butter in pan
4. add flour slowly, and brown (if just balls of flour form that's fine)
5. whisk milk, a few turns of your pepper mill and salt in and bring to a boil, so the gravy does not stick stir continuously 
6. allow to boil for 2 min, the turn to low. 
7. once gravy starts to thicken add sausage a more pepper to taste 
8. Serve over freshly baked biscuits 


Super Easy Whole Wheat Biscuits 
I use a wonderful recipe that I found in the 100 Days of Real Food Cookbook. It is really easy to follow. A few tips I have learned is to handle the dough as little as possible, and it's better for the dough to be a lithe sticky. It recommends you press the dough to 3/4" thick, I usually just do drop biscuits or press it to about 1&1/4" thick. We just like thick biscuits though. 


     I hope that you all enjoy this as much as we do! It's always a Sunday Brunch hit. 



Bennett and my Grandma, from Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment