Thursday, May 1, 2014

All about cakes

Pin It Now!     I wish life could really be all about cake. I have an incredible sweet tooth, I wish I didn't but I do. However I have learned that when batch cooking you can make healthy "cakes" for your family. Often times I use them as side dishes for my husband and I, and Bennett gets them more as a main dish. All of the cakes I make freeze well and reheat easily, both things that make for good batch cooking. There are a few basic things I have learned to keep it healthy.
*always use whole wheat flour, coconut flour or quinoa instead of white flour
*eggs and unsweetened applesauce will keep it all together
*baking powder is a must for real "cake like" things (i.e. sweet potato pancakes)
*unsweetened apple sauce can double as your sweetener
*the more veggies the better
*if you haven't added veggies then add fruit 

     I made these Kale and Broccoli Cakes for Bennett last week. They are awesome! I added the curry so he could try a new flavor. Honestly it took a couple of pieces but they he decided they are good. I've also spread hummus on them and it makes it an even heartier snack! I hope you all enjoy as much as we have. I will also post some more "cake" recipes soon. I just need to make them and take pictures. (something I often forget to do!) 

Kale and Broccoli Cakes 
1 cup of shredded Kale
1 cup steamed broccoli 
1/4 cup of diced onions
2 Tbsp Coconut oil
2 garlic cloves
3 eggs
2 cups of cooked Quinoa 
1 cup of breadcrumbs 
1/2 tsp. curry powder (optional)
Directions 
In a large skillet over medium heat put 1 Tbsp. coconut oil and diced onions.
cook onions until soft. Add garlic and kale. Cook until kale is soft. 
In a large mixing bowl add cooked quinoa, and broccoli cut into small pieces. Add cooled onion kale mix. Mix together with breadcrumbs and eggs. If you are going to add curry now is the time. I used my hands almost like I'm making meatloaf. 
with your hands make patties that are about 1/2" thick. I make mine small about 2" in diameter. 
In a hot skillet melt 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil and place patties in skillet. I fill my skillet and only leave enough room to turn the patties. I cook each patty for 3-5min per side. Place on cooling rack. 
*To reheat place in oven on 350 for 5 min. you can also use a microwave or toaster oven***





~Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment